Monday, December 12, 2011

King Kong (2005)

Let me first say that I love this movie and the original. When I was a kid I saw the original on TV and loved the T-Rex fight just like every other kid. Now coming back on this version I have seen this movie more times then I would like to count. I own 3 different copies of it and I have the most recent blu ray release of King Kong.
For those of you who don't know King Kong is about a film director, named Carl Denham who is trying to be a successful movie director during the great depression. While in New York he meets a recently laid off actress named Ann Darrow. He conveniences her to come shoot his movie with her as the main character. Another important character is Jack Driscoll, who is the writer of Carl's film and gets dragged along this adventure with Carl. Basically they take a ship and land on a mysterious island named Skull Island home to the mighty King Kong!
When it comes to the plot of this movie its a very thick and complex plot. There are many characters you meet besides the very few I mentioned. Many people hate the length and the amount of subplots in this movie. All I have to say is that people have to understand how difficult it is to remake King Kong a third time. When your using a movie that's been used over twice already, you have to come up with new stuff and new ideas. You can't just have the same basic plot. Yes, some of the subplots go no where, but many are important and interesting.
The Acting was quite good in this movie too. Naomi Watts did a great job as a beautiful Ann Darrow. Jack Black made a good kind of smart mouthed Carl Denham. Adriend Brody was greatly casted too. Yes Brody is not used to action type movies, but he does portray a play writer. I doubt a play writer would be very good at those types of stunts on Skull Island either. Even the Skull Islanders themselves were great and quite scary looking.
The dialogue was decent. There were a few lines I didn't quite understand especially during the love scenes on the venture voyage at the start. I think that is more because of Peter Jackson's non-experience with writing those kinds of scenes.
Overall I do enjoy watching this movie. Like I said before I have seen it many times and enjoy it every time. This is one of the movies that sparked my great interest in movies, whether it's collecting them, watching them, reviewing them, or making them. If you are looking for a good CGI packed thrill ride this is for you!
Plot- 9
Acting-9.5
Dialogue- 9.5
Overall- 9.5

No comments:

Post a Comment